Although property values have stalled, and in some cases fallen, in the past few years, for many people real estate continues to represent their single largest asset.
Donating real estate to the community foundation is a way to achieve a range of potential charitable and financial objectives, including:
- Helping your favorite charities during your lifetime, rather than when you pass away
- Diversifying your assets
- Receiving dependable income for the rest of your life
- Avoiding capital gains taxes
- Receiving maximum income tax deductions
- Eliminating the headaches of managing rental property by turning it into an income source for life
A gift of real estate to the Real Estate Trust at Silicon Valley Community Foundation offers an excellent way to unlock the full appraised value of a property, allow for significant tax and economic advantages, and at the same time, build a charitable legacy through support of your favorite causes for years to come. Whether you have a vacation home that is sitting idle, an investment property, vacant land, or commercial or residential real estate, we can help.
By donating real estate, you bypass capital gains and may deduct the fair market value of your gift. Real estate donations may support the Community Endowment Fund, a donor advised fund or any other type of fund at the foundation. Real estate donations may also be used to create a charitable remainder trust or other planned gift.