With our Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Early childhood education is top of mind for California voters. Choose Children is SVCF’s initiative to inform and educate the 2018 candidates for California governor about the importance of prioritizing public investments in young children as part of their campaign platforms.
In this episode, Avo Makdessian, vice president and director of SVCF’s Center for Early Learning, and Pete Weldy, the Center’s external relations officer, discuss the progress of the initiative so far and what it hopes to achieve in the coming months.
Avo Makdessian, vice president and director of SVCF's Center for Early Learning,
and Pete Weldy, external relations officer at SVCF’s Center for Early Learning.
What you will learn:
- What Choose Children 2018 is aiming to accomplish.
- The importance of investing in youth and how it could benefit us all.
- Why we need the next governor to be a champion for children.
- How gubernatorial candidates are responding to this initiative.
- How people can get involved in this initiative.
Resources from this episode:
- The Center for Early Learning
- Avo Makdessian
- Pete Weldy
- Choose Children 2018
- Jerry Brown
- Share your story