In many Silicon Valley neighborhoods where the majority of residents are BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, or People of Color) or are of undocumented status, there are not enough opportunities for community members to exercise their voices and advocate for a better, more equitable future. SVCF Neighborhoods Community Action Grants are bolstering the work that nonprofits and grassroots neighborhood groups have undertaken to build community networks, increase representation and to affect solutions to the problems that impact them and their families.
In this episode, we hear from two organizations building bridges and amplifying the voices of BIPOC neighborhoods in the Fair Oaks neighborhood and the City of Mountain View. North Fair Oaks Community Alliance (NFOCA) Founder and President Ever Rodrigues and Mountain View Solidarity Fund (MVSF) Founders Paula Perez and Olga Melo join the podcast to discuss how their organizations rally the collective power of Latinx communities to respond to community needs and create opportunities for residents in their respective neighborhoods.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Ever Rodrigues, North Fair Oaks Community Alliance Founder and President,
Paula Perez, Mountain View Solidarity Fund Co-Founder,
and Olga Melo, Mountain View Solidarity Fund Co-Founder
What you will learn:
- The important role community members play in designing solutions centered in those impacted by the problems at the local level
- How NFOCA and MVSF empower residents and promote activities to build unity and support understanding of racial inequities
- How MVSF seeks to meet the acute financial needs of undocumented Latinx families facing hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The benefits of community-based participatory grantmaking
- Ways philanthropists and community members can support this movement-building work
Resources from this episode:
- Ever Rodriguez , Founder and President, North Fair Oaks Community Alliance (NFOCA)
- Paula Perez, Co-Founder, Mountain View Solidarity Fund (MVSF)
- Olga Melo, Co-Founder, Mountain View Solidarity Fund (MVSF)
- Leticia Gonzalez, Project Manager, Movement- and Power-Building, SVCF
- Support local Latinx-led organizations in SVCF’s Latinx Giving Guide
- Contribute to SVCF’s LatinXCEL Fund