With our Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
SVCF is supporting San Jose Police Department’s gun buy back program as part of our work to strengthen relations between communities of color and law enforcement.
In this episode, Lieutenant Christina LaCap, who leads the gun buy back program for the San Jose Police Department, talks with Gina Dalma, SVCF's vice president of government relations, about her job with the police department and about making a community safer through community feedback and the unlikely partnership of philanthropy, police, and a local museum.
Gina Dalma, SVCF’s Vice President of Government Relations and SJPD Lieutenant Christina LaCap
What you will learn:
- All about the gun buy back program.
- What happens to the guns that are turned in.
- Why SVCF is supporting the program and how the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles is contributing
- What the department is doing to recruit more police officers.
- How to donate to the program.
- What Christina says is the best thing about being a police officer.
Resources from this episode: