Pursuing a higher education presents financial challenges for many students, and the COVID-19 pandemic adds another layer of obstacles. In this episode, we hear directly from Christabel Soria Mendoza, a SVCF scholarship recipient and Cal Poly student navigating these complexities. Interviewed by SVCF Scholarship Officer Dean Taylor, Christabel describes the process of seeking financial aid and how her college experience has been impacted by COVID-19. Listen to learn more, including the resiliency and vulnerability required of students through the application process.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Christabel Soria,scholarship recipient. Dean Taylor, Scholarships Officer at SVCF.
What you will learn:
- How COVID has changed the college experience
- How to apply for financial aid through schooling
- Different types of scholarships available
- The effort and authenticity required throughout the student application process
Resources from this episode:
- Dean Taylor,SVCF Scholarships Officer
- Check out current SVCF scholarship opportunities
- Read how Jaime Muñoz, another SVCF scholarship recipient, pursues his Stanford MBA during the pandemic
- Learn about SVCF’s other priorities in education in 2021
- Donate to SVCF’s COVID-19 regional response effort