In SVCF's Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Silicon Valley Community Foundation
This episode features highlights from a discussion between Emmett Carson, SVCF's CEO and president, and David Callahan from the media outlet, Inside Philanthropy.
The two discussed the developing styles of philanthropy among new donors at an event hosted by Philanthropy New York. Many of the discussion topics stemmed from David's new book, The Givers: Wealth, Power, and Philanthropy in a New Gilded Age.
In the selections featured in SVCF's podcast, Emmett and David touch on the developing style of philanthropy pursued by some of the world's wealthiest people, and how it can help fuel a Renaissance of philanthropy.
They also explore how the huge influx of wealth to donors is creating a more diversified, decentralized style of philanthropy. Rather than fitting in with the traditional large-foundation approach of the past, donors today are going deep into important issues and forming partnerships with the foundations they help fund.
Emmett and David also take audience questions and debate the realities of wealth being concentrated among so few people, and how entrepreneurship is shaping new philanthropic efforts.
What you will learn
- Who the new givers are and what makes them different from philanthrophists of the past
- Why philanthropists are choosing to dive deep into specific issues, rather than take a wider approach
- How the increased involvement of donors is helping forge new partnerships between them and philanthropic organizations
- Questions about the concentration of wealth among the new giving class
- How an entrepreneurial mindset is changing the way donors give money
- Why the era of the big foundation may give way donations to many smaller organizations
Resources from this episode
- The Givers: Wealth, Power, and Philanthropy in a New Gilded Age by David Callahan
- Philanthropy New York
- Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- Forbes 2017 Billionaires List
- Mega-gifts Are Rising and Alumni Giving Is Shrinking. Which Means What, Exactly? from Inside Philanthropy
- Philanthrosaurus Rex: Why the Age of Big Foundations Is Almost Over from Inside Philanthropy
- Dustin Moscovitz