In SVCF's Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
It's no secret that getting around Silicon Valley using public transit is tough. In this episode, SVCF program officer Vu-Bang Nguyen hosts Fahad Quarashi and Montzerrat Garcia from Youth Leadership Institute, one of our grantee organizations. Fahad and Montzerrat are spearheading, along with their youth counterparts in the community, a grassroots effort to improving public transportation in San Mateo county.
Fahad and Montzerrat discuss the history of public transit in our region and how improvements can benefit us economically, socially and environmentally. They also share the challenges to access and affordability of public transit that our community faces, and how they are bringing together youth, schools and decisionmakers to improve our transportation system.
What you will learn
- How much money will be invested in San Mateo county's public transit in the coming years
- Why it's essential to improve the access to, quality of, and affordability of public transit
- How community voices, especially those of youth are being amplified in the development of transportation options
- How the current state of public transit in San Mateo county affects the lives of all of our residents
- How Youth Leadership Institute is bringing together unlikely partners to advocate for and take action to build better transit
- What impact ride-sharing companies are having on traffic and public transportation options in Silicon Valley and San Mateo county
- How lack of access to transportation affects the lives of youth working with Youth Leadership Institute