With our Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Housing may be the most pressing issue facing quality of life in Silicon Valley today, and it has become a top issue of concern in polls statewide. Senator Scott Wiener discusses statewide housing challenges with Gina Dalma, vice president of government relations at SVCF. The state is currently short nearly 4 million homes to meet current need. Senator Wiener talks causes, sensitivities -- such as displacement -- and possible resolutions.
California State Senator Scott Wiener,
and Gina Dalma, vice president of government relations at SVCF
What you will learn:
- The truth about the home deficit in California.
- Why streamlining local permitting processes is important to solving the housing crisis.
- What SB 827 would do — and the anticipated challenges.
- The shocking percentage of communities that are not meeting their housing goals.
- How the politics of housing in Calilfornia have shifted.
- What organizations can do to influence legislation.
Resources from this episode: