Welcome to Episode 2 of our 8-part mini podcast series with the Alliance of Community Foundations of Silicon Valley. Keep tuning in to learn from each member of the Alliance in episodes to come.
In our second episode of this mini-series, you will learn about Community Foundation of San Carlos, the newest local community foundation and newest member of the Alliance. SVCF Director of Nonprofit Support Services, Michelle Fries, speaks with Jessica Yang, founding Board President of Community Foundation of San Carlos, and Sandy Kraft, Founder and Volunteer Coordinator of Neighbors helping Neighbors.
In this discussion, Jessica introduces Community Foundation of San Carlos and its role in the region, and Jessica and Sandy illustrate how their organizations have responded to the COVID-19 outbreak and are preparing for the future. From forming new cross-sector partnerships to recruiting over 400 volunteers in just 10 weeks, these women are confidently navigating challenges in our communities presented by the pandemic.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Michelle Fries, SVCF Director of Nonprofit Support Services,
Jessica Yang, founding Board President of Community Foundation of San carlos,
Sandy Kraft, Founder and Volunteer Coordinator of Neighbors Helping Neighbors.
What you will learn:
- The critical role of Alliance of Community Foundations of Silicon Valley in helping establish the Community Foundation of San Carlos in 2019.
- The inception and rapid growth of the Neighbors Helping Neighbors community volunteer program in San Mateo County in response to COVID-19.
- CF of San Carlos’ role in responding to the pandemic in consideration of both immediate relief and long-term recovery.
- Long-term plans for continued partnerships across sectors and expanding volunteer efforts to other initiatives.
Resources from this episode:
- Jessica Yang, Board of Directors’ President, Community Foundation of San Carlos
- Sandy Kraft, Founder and Volunteer Coordinator, Neighbors Helping Neighbors
- Michelle Fries, Director of Nonprofit Support Services, Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- Community Foundation of San Carlos’ COVID-19 Resources