The COVID-19 pandemic has had a devastating economic impact on the nonprofit arts sector. After shelter in place orders took effect in March 2020, it was estimated that the field would have $3.2 billion in financial losses. Thousands of cultural events, art classes and community programs were canceled across the country. Because arts organizations have closed their doors for months to come and many have also reduced their workforce, we can anticipate greater revenue losses for local arts and culture nonprofits.
This episode features a conversation with SVCF’s Director of Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships Mauricio Palma, Musician and Trustee of the Castellano Family Foundation and Executive Director of Quinteto Latino Armando Castellano, Chief Executive Officer of SVCreates Connie Martinez, and Director of San Mateo County Arts Commission Robin Rodricks. These leaders examine the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the arts, the tensions between arts and cultural organizations with other organizations providing emergency-related services the correlation between race equity and arts access and education, how these organizations are building awareness around these disparities and advocating for funding the arts, and more.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Mauricio Palma, SVCF's Director of Strategic Initiatives and Partnerships,
Armando Castellano, Musician and Trustee of the Castellano Family Foundation and Executive Director of Quinteto Latino,
Connie Martinez, Chief Executive Officer of SVCreates,
and Robin Rodricks, Director of San Mateo County Arts Commission.
What you will learn:
- The challenges that the local creative sector is experiencing because of the shelter in place and social distancing public health protocols.
- Innovative attempts from arts and culture organizations to adapt to the current realities and prepare for the post-COVID world.
- The correlation between race equity and arts access and education.
- Economic downturn has created a ripple effect of hardship among arts and culture organizations that spans to small businesses in other industries.
- Utilizing the arts to strengthen and bring people together, even while sheltered in place.
Resources from this episode:
- Armando Castellano of the Castellano Family Foundation
- Connie Martinez of SV Creates
- Robin Rodricks of the San Mateo County Arts Commission
- Mauricio Palma of Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- San Mateo County Arts Commission COVID-19 Relief Grants Program
- California Arts Council Covid Resources
- SVCreates Arts Emergency Relief Funds