Welcome to Episode 3 of our 8-part mini podcast series with the Alliance of Community Foundations of Silicon Valley. Keep tuning in to learn from each member of the Alliance in episodes to come.
In the third episode of this mini-series, you will learn about the work of Gilroy Foundation and its role in the Alliance. SVCF Director of Nonprofit Support Services, Michelle Fries, speaks with Donna Pray, Executive Director of Gilroy Foundation, and Karen La Corte, Vice President of Marx Towing, Inc. and Vice President of Gilroy Foundation's Board of Directors. The three leaders overview the foundation’s response to the tragic Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting in 2019, the role in the Alliance, the response to the COVID-19 outbreak and preparations for the future.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Michelle Fries, SVCF Director of Nonprofit Support Services;
Donna Pray, Executive Director of the Gilroy Foundation;
Karen La Corte, Vice President of Marx Towing, Inc.
What you will learn:
- The role of Gilroy Foundation in the Alliance of Community Foundations of Silicon Valley.
- Learnings & successes from the oversight committee of the Gilroy Garlic Festival Victim Relief Fund.
- The foundation’s partnerships with nonprofits and small businesses to keep the community afloat throughout the pandemic.
- Community volunteers step up to support Gilroy Foundation’s COVID-19 response efforts.
- Local shelter-in-place order’s effect on the foundation’s signature work in education and scholarships.
Resources from this episode:
- Donna Pray, Executive Director, Gilroy Foundation
- Karen La Corte, Vice President of Marx Towing, Inc. and Gilroy Foundation Board of Directors Vice President
- Michelle Fries, Director of Nonprofit Support Services, Silicon Valley Community Foundation
- Gilroy Foundation’s Community Resources