With the Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and ways that SVCF and partners promote innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Starting kindergarten is a big step for children and parents. Families often have questions and concerns as they launch into this exciting adventure!
In this episode, Christine Thorsteinson, Early Education Manager at SVCF’s Center for Early Learning, talks with kindergarten teachers Heather Martinez and Adrianne Elfring, and SVCF’s Family Engagement Specialist, Leticia Gonzalez.
The group discusses kindergarten readiness and how families can prepare for this important step in their child’s education.
Adrianne Elfring, Christine Thorsteinson, Leticia Gonzalez and Heather Martinez
What you will learn:
- Common concerns families have when sending their kids off to kindergarten.
- The right age for kindergarten and skills kids should have on the first day.
- What families need to know in order to register for school.
- What to do if you’re concerned your child isn’t ready for kindergarten.
- Tips on preparing your child for school.
- Useful resources and programs.
Resources from this episode:
- Christine Thorsteinson
- Leticia Gonzalez
- Transitional Kindergarten
- Raising a Reader
- Kindergarden Readiness Guide