What is it like to become a philanthropist for the first time? Donor Sally Liu knows first hand. A long time environmentalist, Liu became a donor with SVCF 14 years ago, with a focus on green causes. Liu worked with SVCF to create a vision and mission for her giving. She’s now also a member of SVCF’s Donor Circle for the Environment.
In this episode of Philanthropy Now, Liu talks about this and more with her philanthropy advisor Andy Perkins, SVCF’s Director of Donor Engagement. Listen in as the two discuss advice for new donors and some of the things Liu’s been working on.
With the Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Andy Perkins, SVCF's Director of Donor Engagement,
and Sally Liu, donor, environmentalist, and philanthropist.
What you will learn:
- Sally’s experience with giving and how she first got into philanthropy.
- How she has deepened her relationships with organizations in the environmental sector.
- The importance of really getting to know the organizations you give money to.
- How Sally developed her passion for the environment.
Resources from this episode:
- Andy Perkins
- Sally Liu
- Donor Circle for the Environment
- The Tomkat Foundation
- Sustainable Conservation
- The Pacific Institute
- The Nature Conservancy