With our Philanthropy Now podcast, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
For the past 20 years, Raising A Reader has helped children and their families share a love of books. Founded in Silicon Valley, Raising A Reader provides books and parent training materials in 15 languages, and even braille, for families to share and integrate into their daily routines.
In this episode, Leticia Gonzalez, Family Engagement Manager with SVCF's Center for Early Learning, talks with Michelle Torgerson, President and CEO of Raising A Reader National, about opportunities families have to support their children’s healthy development with a simple but powerful strategy: sharing books regularly.
Leticia Gonzalez, SVCF's Family Engagement Manager, and
Michelle Torgerson, President and CEO of Raising A Reader.
What you will learn:
- How Michelle found her passion for reading.
- What Raising A Reader does for families and children around the country.
- The importance of multi-lingual programs.
- What the Campaign for Grade-Level Reading is.
- The impact of the program and the vision for its future.
- The top three things listeners can do to get involved.
Resources from this episode: