Second Harvest of Silicon Valley’s mission is to ensure that anyone who needs a healthy meal can get one. In this episode, Erica Wood, SVCF’s Executive Vice President of Community Impact, interviews Leslie Bacho, Chief Executive Officer of Second Harvest of Silicon Valley. In light of the coronavirus pandemic, the two leaders analyze the changes in needs they’ve seen in the community, complications and opportunities presented by shifts in the food supply chain and Second Harvest of SV’s areas of focus. You will learn how Second Harvest of Silicon Valley has adapted their operations both to comply with public health regulations and meet the dramatic increase in demand.
In SVCF’s Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and we look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Erica Wood, SVCF's Executive Vice President of Community Impact,
and Leslie Bacho, Chief Executive Officer of Second Harvest of Silicon Valley.
What you will learn:
- Trends in community needs throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and a comparison of needs between the 2008 recession and present times.
- Second Harvest of SV’s support specific to immigrants and other marginalized communities.
- New partnerships across sectors, including the National Guard, to support changes in operations.
- Creation of school food service stations and ramping up drive-through distributions.
Resources from this episode:
- Leslie Bacho, Chief Executive Officer, Second Harvest of Silicon Valley
- Erica Wood, Executive Vice President of Community Impact, SVCF
- SVCF’s COVID-19 Regional Response initiatives
- CalFresh resources
- Volunteer with Second Harvest
- Donate to Second Harvest directly