Many families struggle to find a balance when it comes to technology use with their young children. Silicon Valley Community Foundation and Common Sense Media recently released a fully bilingual technology guide for grown-ups with young kids. In this episode, Michelle Sioson Hyman, Deputy Director of the Center for Early Learning at SVCF, talks with Maria Alvarez, Vice President of Common Sense Latino, a program of Common Sense Media. The two discuss how the guide came together, as well as their own struggles with technology use as parents.
SVCF's Philanthropy Now podcast series explores trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Maria Alvarez, vice president of Common Sense Latino,
and Michelle Sioson Hyman, Deputy Director at SVCF’s Center for Early Learning.
What you will learn:
- The importance of keeping up with changes and developments in technology.
- Some of the harms and benefits of using technology with young children.
- How Maria and Michelle plan to navigate around guilt often associated with technology use.
- The importance of learning how to balance technology use in a healthy way.
- How Maria and Michelle used university research and consultations with parents to create the guide.
Resources from this episode:
- Michelle Sioson Hyman
- The Center for Early Learning
- Maria Alvarez
- Common Sense Media
- Common Sense Latino
- Living and Learning Well in a Digital World: A Grown-up’s Guide to Using Technology with Young Children
- Lost Connections in a World of Connectivity