On August 14, 2021, a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti, killing thousands of people and causing widespread destruction across the country. Amid this devastation, Haiti – still reeling from the massive earthquake in 2010 that destroyed its infrastructure and left millions of its citizens in dire straits – faces additional challenges: political turbulence following the assassination of the country’s president last month, as well as forecasts of heavy tropical storms that threaten search and rescue and humanitarian efforts. Immediate disaster response and long-term support are critical to help Haiti recover. Below are organizations we recommend that are currently working on and assessing how to support Haiti now:
- Airlink - Airlink has transported more than 7,400 responders and approximately 3.4 million pounds of humanitarian aid by air.
- Ayiti Community Trust - Ayiti Community Trust was launched in 2016 with support from the Miami Foundation.
- Doctors without Borders - Doctors without Borders provides emergency medical support in disaster areas around the globe.
Haitian Community Foundation - The Haiti Community Foundation Initiative (HCFI) was launched by a group of organizations which included the Global Fund for Community Foundation, the Kellogg Foundation, and the Puerto Rico Community Foundation.
Hope for Haiti - Hope for Haiti has been making an impact in Haiti for more than 29 years, connecting health systems and empowering its partners toward sustainability. Hope for Haiti uses technology to foster education, human capital, and the economy. Their programs apply concepts including social business, solar power, UV filtration and the use of Electronic Medical Records to efficiently solve problems and improve the quality of life of the Haitian people.
- Hopital St. Bonifance - Hôpital St Boniface is the largest and best hospital in the region that is leading the coordination of care for injured patients across the south and providing emergency care for survivors.
- Medshare - MedShare is a humanitarian aid organization dedicated to improving the quality of life of people, communities and our planet by sourcing and directly delivering surplus medical supplies and equipment to communities in need around the world.
Mercy Corps - Mercy Corps works to achieve a real and lasting impact in the world’s toughest humanitarian emergencies. They have responded to almost every global natural disaster in the last 20 years, including the Nepal earthquake, the hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa, the Indian Ocean tsunami and Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas.
- Save the Children - Save the Children has been a leading charity for children in Haiti since 1978, providing programs that address the health and nutrition needs of mothers and children and ensure children’s early childhood development and literacy. STC also address water, sanitation and hygiene needs.
- Team Rubicon - Team Rubicon unites the skills and experiences of military veterans with first responders to rapidly deploy emergency response teams. Team Rubicon's primary mission is providing disaster relief to those affected by natural disasters.
- World Central Kitchen - José Andrés founded World Central Kitchen after the devastating 2010 earthquake in Haiti with the belief that food can be an agent of change. WCF has expanded globally and has developed into a group of chefs creating smart solutions to hunger and poverty.
SVCF will be monitoring this situation and continuing to work with our partners to identify reputable organizations that are providing relief efforts in Haiti. Please continue to check this page for updates.
If you are a SVCF fundholder and wish to give through your advised fund, please contact your philanthropy advisor or email email@example.com. Corporate partners of SVCF may also contact their philanthropy advisors directly.