With our new Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Senior VP of Investments
In episode 7, Bert Feuss, SVCF senior VP of investments, and Sue McAllister, SVCF marketing director, discuss SVCF's efforts to increase the number of minority and women investment managers working with us. Because SVCF values inclusion and diversity in all aspects of our business, we had to take a hard look at our investment practices and acknowledge that there was room for improvement, and discuss why diversity in the hiring process is so important in our field.
Bert and Sue talk about why this effort has been such a great success. They walk us through the process of working with our investment consultant to find talented women- and minority-owned investment managers and the excellent results we've had so far. The discussion wraps up by highlighting steps that other nonprofits or foundations can take to increase diversity in the hiring of investment managers.
What you will learn:
- Why diversity in hiring in investment management is so important in the charity space
- How diverse managemers are more likely to find and invest in communities that are often overlooked
- How SVCF is measuring diversity with three key metrics
- Why transparency is key to this process and helping it spread to other sectors
Resources from this episode:
- Mike Miller of Colonial Consulting
- About SVCF Investment Manager Diversity
- Investment Manager Diversity Report