Silicon Valley Community Foundation supporting organization Open Road Alliance is seeking a Director of Communications.
At Open Road, we keep social impact on track. We do this in two ways: first, we provide grants and loans to non-profits and social enterprises encountering unexpected obstacles that threaten impact. Second, we advocate for a better approach to risk management and partner with our peers to transform how we think about and measure risk. Through these efforts we can prevent projects from being unexpectedly derailed, increase non-profit resiliency, improve funder-grantee dynamics, and maximize the social impact we collectively seek.
We are looking for a dynamic and driven leader to manage, direct, and implement marketing and communications activities across the organization. The hired candidate will be a ‘get it done’ leader who enjoys both thinking big and working small, turning strategy and ideas into real-life accomplishments.
We are looking for a story-teller with an eye for detail and design; an organized self-starter who loves the art and science of using words, pictures, and sounds to communicate a message across multiple platforms and multiple audiences. The hired candidate will share our passion for Open Road’s work and help us use marketing and communications to bring change to the world.
About the Position
The Director of Communications will lead a comprehensive and integrated communications strategy across all of Open Road’s functions and platforms. The Director will work collaboratively to develop and implement communication strategies that support, enable, and amplify the goals and objectives of the organization as a whole. In general, this work will focus on three areas: advancing advocacy and partnership goals; promoting our impact and positioning our investment approach as best-in-class; and elevating Open Road’s overall brand and presence across multiple platforms. The Director will work closely with the Executive Director, Director of Partnerships, Director of Social Investments, and other Open Road team members at all stages of this work. They will report directly to the Executive Director.
Position Description Details:
Strategy & Leadership
- Lead Open Road’s overall communications strategy across all organizational functions and platforms to maximize the reach and influence of Open Road’s work.
- Work with Director of Partnerships to develop and implement communications to support, enable, and amplify the goals and objectives of the partnership and advocacy strategies.
- Work with Director for Social Investments to promote our impact, elevate the value of our unique investment offerings, and position Open Road’s investment approach as best-in-class and the leader in short-term debt financing.
- Proactively seek out strategic opportunities for communications collaboration with peer organizations.
- Advise leadership on direction of the Open Road brand and its position in the philanthropic and impact investing ecosystems.
- Work with Data Scientist to analyze communications performance using insights and data to drive evolving strategies and tactics.
- Advise leadership to ensure adequate staff/vendor capacity to fully execute communications strategies and reach desired goals.
- Manage interns, fellows, vendors, and other support staff, as needed.
- Accountable for all external facing content for the organization in terms of quality, consistency, timeliness, and connection to overall strategy.
- Write and create organizational collateral on a regular basis for internal and external use.
- Direct and manage creation of multimedia content such as videos, interactive graphics, and other content on a regular basis for internal and external use.
- Work with PR Firm to ensure consistent, relevant stream of external communications and media/press coverage including proactively identifying ‘media-moments’ to support strategic objectives.
- Identify and secure opportunities for organizational awards, speaking roles, and sponsorships.
- Collaborate with team members to turn data and research into compelling narratives for external use.
- Plan and execute specific campaigns across all communication platforms, as needed.
- Direct and manage all digital communications platforms.
- For additional detail on Open Road’s communication activities, see Annex 1 below.
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English or a related field; Master’s degree a plus.
- 8+ years of professional communications experience either in-house at a foundation, family office, social investment firm or other philanthropic organization, or in an agency focused on social sector clients.
- Unparalleled communications skills, including verbal, listening, and writing skills.
- Professional communications experience working with social sector organizations required; communications experience specific to grantmaking, philanthropy, and/or impact investing a plus.
- Deep understanding of today’s media landscape, content optimization, and audience engagement.
- Able to both plan long-term strategy, while executing day-to-day activities.
- Proficiency in Mailchimp, WordPress, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Analytics, Google Suite; Proficiency with Adobe Suite at plus.
- Creative problem-solver
- Comfortable with adapting to changing organizational priorities and needs
- Highly communicative, proactive approach to work assignments
- Self-directed and able to work in a remote environment
- Flexible & Collaborative
- Lover of the Oxford comma, Oxford comma, and Oxford comma
- Good sense of humor
- Absolute and unquestioned integrity
- Passion for the mission, vision, and core values of Open Road Alliance
Location & Travel
We are seeking a candidate based in New York, Washington DC, or Seattle.
As a 21st Century office, we do not operate out of a fixed location. All employees work from home offices or shared workspaces, as appropriate. Bottom line, we encourage employees to work where they will be most effective, whether that is at a home office, external office space, coffee shop, or park bench. For its part, Open Road ensure that all employees have access to appropriate workspaces to facilitate maximum effectiveness and productivity.
Must be able and willing to travel up to 25% for in-person meetings, conferences, and/or other events.
Open Road seeks to set employee compensation that is comfortably above one’s baseline needs, informed by market rates based on the responsibilities outlined in the job description, and passes the sniff test when compared to other internal pay rates.
This is a full-time, salaried position with comprehensive medical, retirement, and other benefits. The salary for this position is dependent on the individual candidate’s qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
- Email résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ensure the subject states “Communications Director-[YOUR NAME]”
- Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please allow up to three weeks to be contacted. We regret that we are not in a position to personally respond to all applicants.
Annex 1: Communication Responsibilities
- Website: Responsible for Open Road website content, copy, and design; monitoring for functionality; continuing to optimize content and functionality for internal and external stakeholders; maximize SEO, fixing or contracting vendors to fix website malfunctions as needed.
- Medium Channel/Blog: Manage Open Road’s blog, including seeking out contributed content from peers and partners.
- Mailchimp/Newsletter: Responsible for Open Road’s newsletter, including planning, building, and sending newsletters; maintaining and growing Open Road’s newsletter subscription list.
- Social Media: Develop and execute organizational social media strategy focused on increasing audience/followers; increasing conversion/click-rates; and creating a known social media brand and presence.
- Oversee all press related activities for the organization.
- Directly manage Open Road’s PR firm on retainer; coordinate and staff media engagements; ideate and develop pitches for media alongside PR firm.
- Responsible for drafting and maintaining updated talking points, narratives, stories, and other press-facing materials.
- Stay abreast of conversations and trends in the social sector with a particular focus on philanthropy and impact investing. Bring relevant trends, opportunities, and learnings to the team.
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization, as needed.
Events and Awards
- Maintain active and up-to-date database of potential events, awards, and all associated deadlines.
- Identify opportunities for conference sponsorships.
- Identify and apply for awards and recognitions for Open Road.
Research and Publications
- Collaborate with team members on research initiatives, identifying opportunities to use data for marketing and communication strategies.
- Identify compelling narratives and trends in datasets and translate into compelling stories.
- Write, ghostwrite, and edit articles, blogs, social media posts, interviews, and more, as needed.
- Partner with Open Road grantees to write and publish investment case studies and other compelling stories that highlight our work.
- Hire vendors and project manage the design, production, and publishing of research reports.