SVCF announces the recipients from the LatinXCEL Fund's first grantmaking round!
View the 2021 LatinXCEL Fund grantees here.
The LatinXCEL Fund is a fund at Silicon Valley Community Foundation created in partnership with the Castellano Family Foundation. This initiative calls for vastly increased funding for Silicon Valley’s Latinx community leaders and Latinx-led nonprofits through targeted, long-term investments. The fund was launched in May 2021. Read the announcement here.
Latinx communities experience widening disparities in income, education, health and housing compared to their white and Asian counterparts. This equity gap is exacerbated by a persistent lack of access to philanthropic dollars by Latinx nonprofit leaders and Latinx-led organizations. The LatinXCEL Fund is founded on the belief that investing in Latinx-led organizations will, in turn, build the power and self-determination of Latinx people most impacted by structural racism. The ultimate aim is to transform our region into one that is more inclusive and just, where all Latinx community members can thrive.
The LatinXCEL Fund builds on the recommendations and findings from “Blueprint for Change: A Call to Action for Silicon Valley Philanthropy to Engage and Support Latinx Organizations, Communities and Leaders for the Common Good.” Released in 2020 by the Castellano Family Foundation, the report is rooted in two years of extensive research, community outreach and executive consultations with many of our region’s leading civic and social investment principals. More than 65 Latinx-led and Latinx community-based organizations contributed their unique perspectives, lived experiences and expertise to inform the report, which ultimately calls for philanthropy in Silicon Valley to invest in Latinx leaders and nonprofit organizations.
The work to dismantle systems of injustice must be led by the leaders and organizations that have been impacted by those systems. Through the LatinXCEL Fund, philanthropy has a unique role — investing in those leaders and their organizations to achieve a more inclusive and just community.
Who the fund will support
Organizations located in Santa Clara and / or San Mateo counties that are:
- Led by Latinx individuals whose overall leadership reflects the Latinx community they serve, or
- Established community anchor organizations that have maintained a historical presence in Latinx communities, serving as trusted entities and playing major roles in advancing equity and social justice through community- and/or advocacy and movement-building, or
- Emerging organizations rooted in the Latinx community with locally focused missions and/or racial equity agendas
- Organizations must have a 501(c)(3) designation or a fiscal sponsor with a 501(c)(3) designation
- Organizations headquartered outside the two-county region may apply but should demonstrate significant service to the area or partner with a local organization that can do so
- Priority will be given to Latinx-led organizations whose budgets are under $1 million
Organizations submitting a proposal must meet the following:
Leadership Criteria (at least 2 of 3 met):
- Latinx Executive Director
- Majority of Board Members are Latinx
- Majority of Senior Leadership is Latinx
Mission Criteria (at least 1 of 2 met):
- Mission focused on Latinx community
- Majority of people served are Latinx
What the fund will support
The LatinXCEL Fund seeks to reverse long-standing inequities by investing in people and organizations that address the infrastructure needs of nonprofits serving Latinx communities. The Blueprint for Change report identifies four key areas in which more effective philanthropy and substantial investments can lead to exponential change, and which this fund will support:
- Leadership development including executive coaching, board development, peer mentoring and cross-sector learning
- Capacity-building and organizational development for established and emerging organizations, including smaller, grassroots or volunteer-based nonprofits
- Cross-sector collaboration, consulting and technical assistance to address organizational infrastructure needs
- Unrestricted funding to enable these organizations to engage in policy advocacy, movement-building and coalition work
The LatinXCEL Fund is a fund at Silicon Valley Community Foundation. SVCF manages the funds and will implement the program.
For information about the LatinXCEL Fund, please contact email@example.com.
Nonprofits seeking funding, please navigate to apply.siliconvalleycf.org to submit your application. If you have any questions regarding the application portal, please refer to this guide or view this instructional video. If you have any questions about the nonprofit application requirements, SVCF's Community Action Team hosted an information session which you may view here. The application deadline is Friday, July 2, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
If you are a fundholder at SVCF, you can give through your SVCF advised fund here.
All others who wish to donate can give here.
If you would like to send a check, please write "LatinXCEL Fund, 6085" in the memo line and mail to:
Silicon Valley Community Foundation - Gift
P.O. Box 399235 San Francisco, CA 94139-9235
If you are utilizing overnight delivery by courier, please mail to:
Lockbox Services Box #399235
Silicon Valley Community Foundation – Gift
3440 Walnut Avenue, Bldg A, Window H
Fremont, CA 94538
If you would like to make a contribution in some other manner or from an advised fund held at another institution, please view the Gift Transfer Instructions here or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.