On The Table Silicon Valley is a three-year effort, started in 2017, to bring area residents together to find workable solutions to our housing struggles. In November 2018, mealtime conversations took place all over our region, focusing on potential housing solutions. Soon, we'll be sharing what we learned in 2018.
On The Table will continue in November 2019. It's a chance to get to know neighbors and colleagues, make new connections and inspire action around housing.
What's it like?
Thinking about hosting or attending an On The Table conversation? Wondering what it might look like, or what you'll discuss? Everyone is welcome, and no prior knowledge of housing issues is necessary. Check out the links below for more information, or feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hear what people said about On the Table 2018:
Hosting an On The Table conversation? We've got you covered!
Couldn't make it to orientation? Watch a recording.
Download or print the Host Guide.
Print a guest sign in sheet
Print handouts for your guests
Check out the post-event survey instructions. After your conversation, please encourage participants to complete the On The Table survey by offering any combination of the following:
- Ask participants to text “OTT” to 30644 to immediately receive a link to the survey to complete on their mobile devices (this is SVCF’s recommended method!) or;
- Return your conversation sign-in sheet as soon as possible. After hosts have returned sign-in sheets, participants who wish to access the survey by email will be sent a link to the survey. To be eligible for this option, participants must provide an email address and indicate their preference on the sign-in sheet. Or;
- Make printed surveys available at your conversation, or;
- Direct participants to this page, siliconvalleycf.org/onthetable to access the survey
Reflections from 2017
In 2017, Silicon Valley Community Foundation launched its first On The Table, bringing together approximately 7,000 residents at nearly 800 conversations to talk about our regional housing challenges in the Bay Area.
Learn more about the activities that took place and the ideas and trends identified through the events:
More on the Housing Crisis
- SVCF Housing and Transit Report
- SVCF and Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy Silicon Valley Housing Crisis Policy Brief
- Video: Los Altos – An Affordable Place to Live in Silicon Valley?
- Philanthropy Now Podcast: Buena Vista Mobile Home Park
- CalMatters Podcast: California Housing Costs Creating Harsh Reality for Refugees
- Terner Center Policy Brief: Finding Common Ground on Rent Control
- KQED: Is Rent Control Working and Should We Have More or Less of It?
- San Francisco Public Press: Creative Solutions to Housing Crisis
This project is part of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation's national replication of the On the Table civic engagement initiative pioneered by The Chicago Community Trust.