Bay Area Chinese American Philanthropists Commit Resources to Vitality of Region
MOUNTAIN VIEW — Silicon Valley Community Foundation is excited to release two research reports today highlighting Chinese American philanthropy in the Bay Area. The reports are an exploration of the concept and practice of philanthropy in the growing Bay Area’s Chinese American community. Additionally, this research provides insights and guidance for those wishing to successfully engage and partner with this group of donors. This research was sponsored by the Chinese American Community Foundation and was crafted by senior scientists at LTG Associates who interviewed 33 leading donors to identify philanthropic trends within the Chinese American community here in the Bay Area.
“Silicon Valley Community Foundation holds diversity and inclusiveness as two important values for our organization. This report celebrates the philanthropic efforts of the Chinese American community and recognizes their long-standing efforts to strengthen and improve both our region and the world,” said Emmett D. Carson., Ph.D. CEO of Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
“As the Bay Area Chinese Americans grow more engaged in philanthropy, the research indicates that they seek additional community resources to help meet their personal interests. That is one reason that the Chinese American Community Foundation is committed to becoming a resource for donors and the nonprofits that provide valuable services to our community,” said Buck Gee, Co-Founder and Treasurer of the Chinese American Community Foundation.
The key study findings include:
- Chinese American philanthropists in the Bay Area give to causes both here in the United States and around the world.
- Study participants share a strong vision of working to affect the life course and health of future generations. The issues they care most about include education, cultural access and civic engagement.
- Chinese American philanthropists are interested in engaging and providing resources to organizations that they have a personal affinity with the cause and where they feel personally connected to the organization.
- When engaging with a new nonprofit organization, Chinese American philanthropists conduct high levels of due diligence to maximize resources for the good of the community.
- Philanthropists are interested in giving monies to support a specific project or cause and for general operating support.
- Study participants focused their philanthropy on a variety of causes including education, cultural access and civic engagement, workforce and leadership development and Asian American services.
The research provides the following recommendations:
- Educate the community on causes, highlight nonprofits’ needs and provide exposure to potential donors to allow for increased resources.
- Consider peer to peer outreach when exploring new relationships with potential donors.
- Nonprofits should leverage the Chinese American community’s strong sense of connection to their family and broaden the definition of family to include the community at large.
- Donor participation within this community can be increased by utilizing giving vehicles such as a wide range of donor circles, crowd funding and matching grant opportunities.
Access the full report: For Generations to Come: Chinese American Philanthropy in the Bay Area and the companion report, Honoring the Past, Shaping the Future: Chinese American Philanthropy in the Bay Area profiling leading Chinese American donors at www.siliconvalleycf.org.
About Silicon Valley Community Foundation
Silicon Valley Community Foundation makes all forms of philanthropy more powerful. We serve as a catalyst and leader for innovative solutions to our region’s most challenging problems, and our donors award more money to charities than any other community foundation in the United States. SVCF has more than $4.7 billion in assets under management. As Silicon Valley’s center of philanthropy, we provide thousands of individuals, families and corporations with simple and effective ways to give locally and around the world. Find out more at www.siliconvalleycf.org.
About the Chinese American Community Foundation
The Chinese American Community Foundation is committed to building a healthy, vibrant and engaged Chinese American community. The Foundation supports initiatives that promote philanthropy, volunteerism, and the creation of a donor community that advances innovative solutions to challenging problems. Drawing on the experiences of community and business leaders, the Foundation collaborates with private and public partners to support the growth of a permanent fund that engages donors to strengthen Chinese American community and the Bay Area community-based organizations that serve them. Learn more at www.chineseamericancf.org.