How to Apply
1. Starting July 12, 2021, register and login to Apply SVCF, our online application system. Applications are due August 16, 2021.
2. Complete your Apply SVCF profile; the system will use your profile information to determine your eligibility for scholarships.
3. If you are eligible, complete the online application. You’ll have to provide info on your education, extracurricular activities and financial information.
4. Upload the required application documents, outlined at left.
5. Save, review and finalize your application, then submit!
Bright Futures 2021 Timeline
July 12, 2021
Application Portal Opens
August 16, 2021
Application Due Date
October 1-31, 2021
Due date for recipients to sign and submit Scholarship Acceptance and Agreement Form, along with enrollment verification documents. These documents and forms are needed before SVCF can mail scholarship award payments.
For eligible students who can demonstrate academic excellence and unmet need.
Up to $10,000
Number of Scholarships
Up to 20 one-time scholarships
The Bright Futures Scholarship Fund was established in 2010 by SVCF to provide additional scholarship opportunities to the many worthy applicants that seek funding each year. The selection committee looks for students showing academic promise and whose educational opportunities will be increased by financial assistance. In addition, the selection committee will take into consideration the overall quality of the personal statement. Special consideration will be given to those students who attended or will attend college within the nine-county Bay Area region.
- Can demonstrate unmet need after all other forms of college financial aid are secured
- Demonstrated academic promise with a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average
- Applicants are students of color and/or immigrants, regardless of naturalization status
Applicants are enrolled in not-for-profit:
- Two-year, four-year, or graduate accredited educational institutions as a part-time or full-time student; or
- Career/technical, vocational, or certificate programs as a part-time or full-time student
- Special consideration will be given to applicants who attended high school and/or will pursue further education within the ten-county Bay Area region (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Solano, Sonoma)
- Demonstrate unmet need of more than $1,000 for the upcoming academic term by submitting most recent financial aid award letter. Your unmet need does not include student loans and work study.
- Academic excellence
Overall quality of the personal statement:
- Prompt: Tell us why you are a good candidate to receive The Bright Futures Scholarship and what impact this scholarship will have on your ability to continue education
- Your statement should be no more than 500 words
- Personal statement
- Most recent Financial Aid Award Letter
- One letter of recommendation
- Academic transcripts