For students from Gilroy Unified School District planning to study English, writing or education at a four-year college or university.
Up to $3,000
Number of Scholarships
Up to 2 one-time awards
The Claudia K. Salewske Memorial Fund Scholarship was established in 2017 by Claudia’s husband, Michael Salewske, and daughter, Cassie Salewske, to honor her memory and her legacy. Mrs. Salewske was an English teacher at Gilroy High School from 1984 to 1998, and a Professor of English at San Jose State University from 1998 to 2006. Mrs. Salewske cared deeply for her students, and was passionate about teaching, literature, and writing. She was not only an outstanding teacher, but she encouraged many of her students to become teachers as well. Her commitments to education and to her community were inspirational. This scholarship fund was established with generous contributions from her family, colleagues, community members, friends, and former students. Because she touched so many lives, we want her memory to live on in her scholarship fund, to continue support future writers and educators long into the future.
- Graduating high school senior from Gilroy High School, Christopher High School, or Mt. Madonna High School, in Gilroy, California.
- Accepted to a 4-year college or university, and matriculating in the fall following graduation.
- Planned course of study in English, English Literature, or Creative Writing AND/OR planned course of study in Elementary or Secondary Education.
- Preference given to outstanding seniors who plan to become teachers/educators.
- Gilroy Unified School District scholarship common application, which includes 500-word essay and three letters of recommendation.
Michael Salewske at email@example.com