How to Apply
1. Starting Jan. 8, 2018, register and login to Apply SVCF, our online application system. Applications are due Feb. 21, 2018.
2. Complete your Apply SVCF profile; the system will use your profile information to determine your eligibility for scholarships.
3. If you are eligible, complete the online application. You’ll have to provide info on your education, extracurricular activities and financial information.
4. Upload the required application documents, outlined at left.
5. Save, review and finalize your application, then submit!
Gugliotta Memorial Scholarship 2018 Timeline
Jan. 8, 2018
Feb. 21, 2018
Early May 2018
Notifications sent to students
Scholarship payments are mailed to recipients' schools when the scholarship is accepted and enrollment is verified.
Oct. 31, 2018
Deadline for recipients to claim and submit Scholarship Acceptance and Agreement Form, along with enrollment verification
For students majoring in the creative writing field and who have demonstrated creative writing ability.
Up to $1,000
Number of Scholarships
Up to two one-time scholarships
This scholarship was created in 1995 to honor the late Bobette Bibo Gugliotta, author of several books, including Katzimo: Mysterious Mesa; Pigboat 39, about a World War II submarine; and Women of Mexico: The Consecrated and the Commoners, 1519-1900. In 1930, when she was 11 years old, Mrs. Gugliotta wrote a story about a mouse who later became Mickey! Mrs. Gugliotta married U.S. Navy Ensign Guy F. Gugliotta in 1940. They lived in several cities in the United States and Latin America before retiring to the Peninsula in 1962. Her family and friends remember her as wife, mother, hostess and one who was "never bored, never tired, always curious."
- Demonstrated passion for creative writing (two writing samples are required with student's application)
- Graduating high school senior or graduate of a public or private high school in San Mateo County or Santa Clara County
- Planning to enroll or currently enrolled in a four-year college or university as a full-time student
- United States citizen or eligible non-citizen (eligible non-citizens include United States legal residents and A.B. 540 students)
Required Application Documents
In addition to the Apply SVCF application form, you are required to submit the following application documents to be considered for the Gugliotta Memorial Scholarship.
1. Personal Statement (PDF or Word doc)
Title the statement with your full name and date at the top of every page. Your personal statement must be 500-800 words, double-spaced (approximately 2-3 pages), and must address the following prompts:
- Describe your short- and long-term goals and how furthering your education will assist you in reaching those goals.
- Comment on the personal characteristics, educational and extracurricular activities that have helped prepare you for college OR your intended career if you are a current college student.
- Reflect on your personal journey (significant accomplishments, challenges and/or hardships) and any life lessons that you think will or have help(ed) you succeed in college.
- Describe why you believe you are a good candidate for the specific scholarship(s) for which you are applying.
2. Financial Need Documentation (PDF)
Evidence of financial need must be submitted to Apply SVCF for all SVCF Managed Scholarships accordingly:
Note: Do not assume you won’t be eligible for federal or state financial aid. Many institutional and private scholarships require that you complete the FAFSA to be considered for these types of awards. If your household’s financial situation drastically changes, you will be able to request an appeal. By appealing a financial aid award, some students are able to secure thousands of dollars in additional grants and student loans.
A.B. 540 / DACA students: Upload a copy of ONE of the following:
- 2018-19 California Dream Act Application and Confirmation Page.
- First two pages of your parent or guardian’s most recent Federal Tax Forms 1040.
- Your parent or guardian’s two most recent pay stubs.
- Financial Aid Award Letter (PDF) provided by the educational institution you are attending or plan to attend in the fall.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
Your two letters of recommendation must be signed and dated. You must obtain a recommendation from both a:
- Teacher or academic advisor on school letterhead.
- Volunteer or work supervisor, community leader or personal acquaintance. (Volunteer or work supervisor letters must be on the organization’s letterhead. Personal acquaintance letters cannot come from parents or relatives.)
There are two ways to submit your letters of recommendation.
Obtain the two letters of recommendation from your recommenders and upload them yourself to your Apply SVCF application.
Have your recommenders submit the letters themselves. First, include the name and email address of your two recommenders in your Apply SVCF application (be sure to ask recommenders before providing their information). Then, we will email your recommenders and request that they submit their letters to us directly.
Note: Regardless of your submission method, it is your responsibility to ensure letters are submitted by the deadline. Letters of recommendation which were written for other scholarship or college applications can be used, but must be for the current year.
4. Official Transcripts of Grades (Submit both PDFs and hard copies)
Upload PDF versions of your transcripts to Apply SVCF AND mail hard copy originals to:
Silicon Valley Community Foundation
2440 W. El Camino Real, Suite 300
Mountain View, CA 94040
Current graduating high school seniors: Submit an official high school transcript AND official college transcripts, if applicable.
Current college students: Submit official college transcript(s) for all college coursework completed AND unofficial high school transcript(s).
Note: Request your transcripts early, as it may take four to six weeks for these to be generated. Ask your school if they generate electronic official transcripts that can be turned into PDFs. Screen shots or Internet-generated transcripts will not be accepted.
5. Two Creative Writing Samples (PDF or Word)
Applicants must upload two creative writing samples.