How to Apply
Starting January 1, 2021, register and login to Apply SVCF, our online application system. Applications are due TBD.
If you submitted an application, you may check the status of your application on Apply SVCF. You will also receive a notification email about the status of your application in July.
Huang Scholarship 2021 Timeline
March 1, 2021
September 30, 2021
Due date for recipients to sign and submit Scholarship Acceptance and Agreement Form, along with enrollment verification documents. These documents and forms are needed before SVCF can mail scholarship award payments.
For current SYNNEX employees, past-employees who left the company in good standing and their dependents, who plan to attend a U.S. or foreign college/university ranked highly by U.S. News and World Report college/university rankings or comparable source.
Up to $34,000 (paid over four years, provided renewal eligibility requirements are met)
Number of Scholarships
Up to 10 awards (a combination of new one-time and renewable scholarships will be awarded; renewable scholarship recipients must meet renewal requirements)
The Huang Leadership Development Scholarship was established by Bob and Lily Huang in recognition of the loyalty and dedication of SYNNEX employees worldwide. Bob, founder, past CEO and past chairman of the board of SYNNEX Corporation, and his wife Lily wish to recognize those who worked and contributed to the success of SYNNEX by providing scholarship opportunities to support those employees, past employees and dependents that choose to further their personal leadership development through higher education for the future prosperity of the globalized world.
Bob and Lily’s leadership and vision laid the groundwork for SYNNEX with the company’s founding in 1980. Throughout his life, Bob has been a teacher and a mentor to the many associates with whom he has worked and come into contact. Over the years, as he built his business into the success story it became, he has shepherded the career ambitions of countless others.
Bob and Lily wish to continue this rich legacy by improving the lives of those seeking to better themselves through higher education and become leaders and mentors in their own right. Scholarship recipients will be selected based on academic achievement excellence and leadership qualities as evidenced by their personal statement, letters of reference, school and community activities.
- Current employee or past employee, or a legal dependent or grandchild of a current or past employee of SYNNEX Corporation, or its subsidiaries who left the company in good standing
- Current employee or past employee, or a legal dependent or grandchild of a current or past employee that worked for SYNNEX Corporation or its subsidiaries for a minimum of three years at the time of the application deadline.
- Demonstrated academic excellence and leadership qualities through activities in school, community or social service activities.
- Accepted into and confirmed intent to enroll OR be enrolled on a full-time basis in an undergraduate program in a four-year college or university ranked as a top college or university according to the current year’s U.S. News and World Report’s college/university rankings or comparable source:
- U.S. National Colleges/Universities: U.S. News & World Report 2020, National University Rankings – Top 100
- U.S. National Liberal Arts Colleges/Universities: U.S. News & World Report 2020, National Liberal Arts College Rankings – Top 100
- Canada: US News & World 2020, Best Global Universities in Canada
China: US News & World Report 2020, Best Global Universities in Asia, Top 100 or the following:
- Renmin University of China, China Beijing
- Peking University Health Science Center, China Beijing
- Peking Union Medical College, China Beijing
- University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, China Chengdu, Sichuan
- Medical Center of Fudan University, China Shanghai
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, China Shanghai
India: US News & World Report 2020, Best Global Universities in India, or the following:
- Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, Maharashtra
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Vidya Vihar, Pilani, Rajasthan
- Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- Grant Medical College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati, Assam
- Kolkata Medical College, Kolkata
- Lady Hardinge College, New Delhi, Delhi
- Madras Medical College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Maulana Azad College, Kolkata, West Bengal
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- University of Pune, Pune
Japan: US News & World Report 2020, Best Global Universities in Asia, Top 100 or the following:
- Jichi Medical University, Shimotsuke, Tochigi
- Juntendo University, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyou
- Osaka Medical College, Takatsuki, Osaka
- Sophia University, Tokyo, Tokyo
- The Jikei University school of Medicine, Minato, Tokyo
- Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo
Award recipients must be willing to share their experience with their peers and future applicants.
Required Application Documents
In addition to the Apply SVCF application form, you are required to submit the following application documents to be considered for the Huang Leadership Development Scholarship.
1. Personal Statement
Submit your personal statement into your Apply SVCF application. Your 500-850 word personal statement should address the following prompts:
Describe yourself to the scholarship committee, your short and long-range goals and highlight your academic accomplishments.
Share with the committee the leadership qualities you feel you possess and describe events or activities in which you have demonstrated excellence in leadership.
Reflect on your personal journey (significant accomplishments, challenges and/or hardships) and any life lessons, discuss what you have learned from these and how you think these will help you succeed in college and ultimately in your career.
2. Two Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
Your two letters of recommendation must be signed and dated.
- One letter MUST be from an academic advisor who must address your academic performance
The second letter should be ONE of the following:
- A letter regarding your leadership qualities, from a teacher, academic advisor, or work or volunteer supervisor
- A letter regarding your academic distinction, from a teacher or academic advisor (current college students -- the advisor should be from your field of study)
- A letter regarding your character, from a teacher, academic advisor, or work or volunteer supervisor
There are two ways to submit your letters of recommendation.
- Obtain the two letters of recommendation from your recommenders and upload them yourself to your Apply SVCF application.
- Have your recommenders submit the letters themselves. First, include the name and email address of your two recommenders in your Apply SVCF application (be sure to ask recommenders before providing their information). Then, we will email your recommenders and request that they submit their letters to us directly.
Note: Regardless of your submission method, it is your responsibility to ensure letters are submitted by the deadline. Letters of recommendation which were written for other scholarship or college applications can be used, but must be for the current year.
3. Unofficial or Official Transcripts of Grades (Submit only PDFs)
Upload PDF versions of your unofficial or official transcripts to Apply SVCF under the appropriate transcript field or Confirmation tab at the end of the application.
Only mail a hard copy if your school will not issue unofficial or official transcripts directly to students. Hard copy transcripts can be mailed to the address below:
Silicon Valley Community Foundation
2440 W. El Camino Real, Suite 300
Mountain View, CA 94040
Current graduating high school seniors: Submit an unofficial or official high school transcript AND unofficial or official college transcripts, if applicable.
Current college students: Submit unofficial or official college transcript(s) for all college coursework completed AND unofficial or official high school transcript(s).”
Note: Any unofficial transcripts submitted will be reviewed for inconsistencies and an official transcript may be requested by SVCF at any time for confirmation. All submitted transcripts must include: student’s full name, student ID number, name of high school or college, all courses and grades, and cumulative GPA.
4. Employment Verification (PDF)
An employment verification letter from your supervisor is required. The letter must verify your length of employment at SYNNEX and must be on official SYNNEX letterhead.
Current employees or dependents of employees: Provide a letter from location manager verifying your or your parent’s length of employment at SYNNEX Corporation.
Past employees or dependents of past employees: Provide pay stubs that verify length of employment at SYNNEX Corporation.