How to Apply
1. Starting January 1, 2021, register and login to Apply SVCF, our online application system. Applications are due March 19, 2021.
2. Complete your Apply SVCF profile; the system will use your profile information to determine your eligibility for scholarships.
3. If you are eligible, complete the online application. You’ll have to provide info on your education, extracurricular activities and financial information.
4. Upload the required application documents, outlined at left.
5. Save, review and finalize your application, then submit!
Hutchinson Medical Scholarship 2021 Timeline
January 1, 2021
March 19, 2021
September 30, 2021
Due date for recipients to sign and submit Scholarship Acceptance and Agreement Form, along with enrollment verification documents. These documents and forms are needed before SVCF can mail scholarship award payments.
For students who are enrolled or planning to enroll in medical school.
Up to $2,000
Number of Scholarships
One per year
Previous applicants may reapply
The Hutchinson Medical School Scholarship Fund was established in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Hutchinson by numerous friends, colleagues, patients and community leaders who honored them at a gala dinner in 1994 and, at the same time, contributed generously toward the establishment of this medical school scholarship. Dr. and Mrs. Hutchinson intend the scholarship to assist young people who aspire to attend medical school and to recognize students who demonstrate excellence in both character and academic achievement.
James and the late Evelyn Hutchinson have been partners and builders of their family and community for more than four decades. Dr. Hutchinson, past president of the local NAACP, was a founding board member of both Planned Parenthood of San Mateo and the Bay Area Urban League.
Dr. Hutchinson's medical practice has always been based on the care of the patient and family as a whole. Known as the "walking doctor" of San Mateo, he started walking six to eight miles a day near his office in 1982. He says that walking helps relieve stress and that being out and about has given him more insight into his community. He has gathered scores of followers in walking for fitness and pleasure.
College senior and accepted to medical school or currently enrolled full-time in an accredited medical school program.
Demonstrated personal motivation for excellence in both character and academic achievement.
Personal integrity, as exemplified by leadership, community involvement and concern for others, will be considered.
Graduate of a high school in San Mateo County or Santa Clara County or have permanently resided in that area during high school.
United States citizen.
Required Application Documents
In addition to the Apply SVCF application form, you are required to submit the following application documents to be considered for the Hutchinson Medical School Scholarship.
1. Medical Field-Related Personal Statement
Submit your personal statement into your Apply SVCF application. Your 500-850 word personal statement should address the following prompts:
Describe what sparked your interest in the medical field, your short- and long-term career plans, and the areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you.
Comment on the personal characteristics, educational and extracurricular activities that have helped prepare you for or have helped you thrive in medical school.
Reflect on your personal journey (significant accomplishments, challenges and/or hardships) and any life lessons that you think will help you succeed in the medical field.
Indicate why you believe you are a good candidate for this scholarship.
2. Financial Need Documentation (PDF)
Evidence of financial need must be submitted to Apply SVCF for all SVCF Managed Scholarships. While financial need is not a primary consideration of the Hutchinson Medical School Scholarship, it may be a factor in final selection. Extra consideration will be given to self-supporting students.
3. Two Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
Your two letters of recommendation must be signed and dated. You must obtain recommendations from both:
- A teacher or academic advisor on school letterhead; and
- A volunteer or work supervisor, community leader or personal acquaintance. (Volunteer or work supervisor letters must be on the organization’s letterhead. Personal acquaintance letters cannot come from parents or relatives.)
There are two ways to submit your letters of recommendation.
- Obtain the two letters of recommendation from your recommenders and upload them yourself to your Apply SVCF application.
- Have your recommenders submit the letters themselves. First, include the name and email address of your two recommenders in your Apply SVCF application (be sure to ask recommenders before providing their information). Then, we will email your recommenders and request that they submit their letters to us directly.
Note: Regardless of your submission method, it is your responsibility to ensure letters are submitted by the deadline. Letters of recommendation which were written for other scholarship or college applications can be used, but must be for the current year.
4. Unofficial or Official Transcripts of Grades (Submit only PDFs)
Upload PDF versions of your unofficial or official transcripts to Apply SVCF under the appropriate transcript field or Confirmation tab at the end of the application.
Only mail a hard copy if your school will not issue unofficial or official transcripts directly to students. Hard copy transcripts can be mailed to the address below:
Silicon Valley Community Foundation
2440 W. El Camino Real, Suite 300
Mountain View, CA 94040
Current graduating high school seniors: Submit an unofficial or official high school transcript AND unofficial or official college transcripts, if applicable.
Current college students: Submit unofficial or official college transcript(s) for all college coursework completed AND unofficial or official high school transcript(s).”
Note: Any unofficial transcripts submitted will be reviewed for inconsistencies and an official transcript may be requested by SVCF at any time for confirmation. All submitted transcripts must include: student’s full name, student ID number, name of high school or college, all courses and grades, and cumulative GPA.