How to Apply
1. Starting June 15, 2021, register and login to Apply SVCF, our online application system. Applications are due June 24, 2021.
2. Complete your Apply SVCF profile; the system will use your profile information to determine your eligibility for scholarships.
3. If you are eligible, complete the online application. You’ll have to provide info on your education, extracurricular activities and financial information.
4. Upload the required application documents, outlined at left.
5. Save, review and finalize your application, then submit!
June 15, 2021
June 24, 2021
July 27-29, 2021
September 30, 2021
Due date for recipients to sign and submit Scholarship Acceptance and Agreement Form, along with enrollment verification documents. These documents and forms are needed before SVCF can mail scholarship award payments.
For students who attended high school in East Side Union High School District and plan to attend San José State University.
Fully paid tuition, up to $8,000 per year
Number of Scholarships
One per year
The Julie Gerhardt-Mannina Scholarship was established in 2020 by Julie, Joseph, Rachel and Olivia Mannina. This scholarship seeks to support the education of the underserved and underrepresented Latinx population on the east side of San José. The selection committee seeks students who show academic promise and/or improvement during their last years of high school.
Through this award, the Mannina Family hopes to inspire all students to achieve their dreams and uplift the community of San José. “Because you believed in me, I believed in me.”
Graduating high school senior currently attending one of the following East Side Union High School District schools:
- Andrew P. Hill High School
- Foothill High School
- James Lick High school
- Mt. Pleasant High School
- Demonstrates academic promise with a minimum grade point average of 2.50
- Applicants must identify as people of color and/or immigrants, regardless of naturalization status
- Can demonstrate unmet financial need after all other forms of financial aid are secured
Special consideration will be given to students who attended Lyndale Elementary School, demonstrating continued enrollment in East San José public schools.
Required Application Documents
In addition to the Apply SVCF application form, you are required to submit the following application documents to be considered for the Julie Gerhardt-Mannina Scholarship.
1. Personal Statement
Submit your personal statement into your Apply SVCF application. Your 500-850 word personal statement should address the following prompts:
- Describe your short- and long-term goals and how furthering your education will assist you in reaching those goals.
- Comment on the personal characteristics, educational and extracurricular activities that have helped prepare you for college OR your intended career if you are a current college student.
- Reflect on your personal journey (significant accomplishments, challenges and/or hardships) and any life lessons that you think will or have help(ed) you succeed in college.
- Describe why you believe you are a good candidate for the specific scholarship(s) for which you are applying.
2. Financial Need Documentation (PDF)
Evidence of financial need must be submitted to Apply SVCF for all SVCF Managed Scholarships accordingly:
Note: Do not assume you won’t be eligible for federal or state financial aid. Many institutional and private scholarships require that you complete the FAFSA to be considered for these types of awards. If your household’s financial situation drastically changes, you will be able to request an appeal. By appealing a financial aid award, some students are able to secure thousands of dollars in additional grants and student loans.
Students with non-resident status, including A.B. 540/DACA: Upload a copy of ONE of the following:
- 2021-22 California Dream Act Application and Confirmation Page.
- First two pages of your parent or guardian’s most recent Federal Tax Forms 1040.
- Your parent or guardian’s two most recent pay stubs.
- Financial Aid Award Letter (PDF) provided by the educational institution you are attending or plan to attend in the fall.
3. Letters of Recommendation (PDF)
There are two ways to submit your letters of recommendation.
- Obtain the two letters of recommendation from your recommenders and upload them yourself to your Apply SVCF application.
- Have your recommenders submit the letters themselves. First, include the name and email address of your two recommenders in your Apply SVCF application (be sure to ask recommenders before providing their information). Then, we will email your recommenders and request that they submit their letters to us directly.
Note: Regardless of your submission method, it is your responsibility to ensure letters are submitted by the deadline. Letters of recommendation which were written for other scholarship or college applications can be used, but must be for the current year.
4. Unofficial or Official Transcripts of Grades (Submit only PDFs)
Upload PDF versions of your unofficial or official transcripts to Apply SVCF under the appropriate transcript field or Confirmation tab at the end of the application.
Current graduating high school seniors: Submit an unofficial or official high school transcript.
Note: Any unofficial transcripts submitted will be reviewed for inconsistencies and an official transcript may be requested by SVCF at any time for confirmation. All submitted transcripts must include: student’s full name, student ID number, name of high school, all courses and grades, and cumulative GPA (4.0 scale).