For current or former foster youth enrolled at San José State University’s Guardian Scholars Program who demonstrate academic promise and financial hardship.
$4,000 (paid over four years, provided renewal eligibility requirements are met)
Number of Scholarships
Up to 3 renewable scholarships
The On Your Own Scholarship was established in 2004 and seeks to provide scholarship opportunities to foster youth from Santa Clara County who plan on pursuing higher education.
- Accepted to or attending San José State University for the upcoming fall academic term
- Have been in foster care at least one day since 13th birthday
- Minimum cumulative high school or college grade point average of 2.5 and have received a high school diploma or GED
- Have unmet financial need or have educational loans that do not exceed the cost of attendance as determined by the campus Financial Aid Office
- Completed the FAFSA by the priority deadline (March 2)
- Applied for the Educational Opportunity Program
- Demonstrate a commitment and capacity to complete a degree
- Planning to enroll on a full-time or part-time basis
Crystal Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org